2021 Data *coming soon*
2021 Code Book *coming soon*
The Exposing Extremism in Elections data sets a list of candidates in each respective election cycle who SPLC’s research indicates have ties to extremist groups or ideologies. These data sets provide an easy and accessible way to research candidates and their ties to extremism. These data sets can be viewed both online and as interactive documents.
The type of information contained in the data sets can be found in the column headers running across the top row. The data set largely is divided into three sections of information: 1) Candidate information, 2) Election information, and 3) Information on the candidate’s ties to extremist groups or ideologies.
Each row of the data set represents a candidate running for office. If a candidate is running or ran for more than one position during the election cycle (e.g., ran for state senate but dropped out and instead ran for state house), the candidate will appear in multiple rows of the data set, one for each public office they sought.
The first main section of the data set provides information on the candidate themselves, including:
- First name
- Last name
- Aliases (or other names used)(2020 only)
- Party affiliation
- State, county and city of residence
- Level of office sought
- Name of office sought
- District of office sought (2021 only)
The second section of the data set provides election information that is specific to the candidate’s campaign, including:
- Election year (2020 only)
- Type of campaign (new or incumbent)
- Current status of the campaign (active or inactive) (2020 only)
- Date of the primary (or run-off primary, if applicable)
- Result of primary (or run-off primary, if applicable)
- Result of the general election (if applicable)
- Links to campaign website(s) (2020 only)
- Whether the candidate is an existing public official, and if so, the position they currently hold
- Notes about the candidate, candidate’s campaign or election
The third section of the data set provides the information our investigation uncovered on the candidate’s ties to extremist groups or ideologies, including:
- The number of associations the candidate has to extremism (2021 only)
- A summary of all of the candidate’s ties to extremist groups or ideologies (if a candidate is associated with more than one group or ideology, a summary of all associations is included here). (2020 only)
For each extremist association, the:
- Name of the extremist group or ideology
- General movement within which the extremist group or ideology falls (Hate or Antigovernment)
- Movement sub-category within which the extremist group or ideology falls
- Type of relationship the candidate has with the extremist group or ideology (i.e., leader, member, former member, ideological, transactional)
- Explanation of the candidate’s relationship to the specific extremist group or ideology
- Links to some of the sources (i.e., evidence) we reviewed concerning the candidate’s ties to the specific extremist group or ideology. This is some of the evidence on which we relied in concluding that the candidate has ties to one of the named extremist groups or ideologies and opining on the nature of that relationship.
- Links to many of the SPLC Intelligence Project sources on the candidate and/or the specific extremist group or ideology (2020 only)
- Additional notes about the extremist group or ideology or the candidate’s ties to them (2020 only)
NOTE: If our research suggested that a candidate has ties to more than one extremist group or ideology, each is listed sequentially within the candidate’s row.